Knowledge Management - key to trap tacit knowledge
Life is a constant cycle of learning. I'm not being philosophical, just beginning my write up with something higher in the order of thinking. To me, knowledge can be acquired from reading books and through practice. Knowledge available in books could be so specific to a given situation that it may not apply to other situations, or too generic that you have to rely on your capacity to use it to your best.
Tacit Knowledge
Though theories and principles cover many aspects in a domain, knowledge gained through experience often go undocumented. Loss of such invaluable cognition is one of the key issues that many organisations fight to contain.
Tools to Tackle the Trouble
I would like to share what I have been experimenting for quite some time now to document tacit knowledge at work - Wiking and Blogging. More than an year back, I downloaded an intranet version of Wiki (quick web) and installed it on my computer (I have IIS running on my system, serving as an intranet site on my network segment)
I had to slowly drive the point of using the Wiki (among my writers and editors) to document their learning at work. Now I see that I have a database of checklists, case studies and thumb rules that people have derived through the Wiki over a period. I see that its growing to become a powerful tool to trap tacit knowledge which is sharable within a group of knowledge workers.
I took to blogging quite late. I have sincerely tried to blog whatever ideas I conceived so far and maintain a record of some tacit knowledge. I see that my organisation ( at least my division) has also recognised the power of blogs and wikis that I see some initiative on setting up secured Wiki for a few management discussions.
I see blogs and wikis as effective tools for knowledge management. I shall continue blogging and wiking...
Tacit Knowledge
Though theories and principles cover many aspects in a domain, knowledge gained through experience often go undocumented. Loss of such invaluable cognition is one of the key issues that many organisations fight to contain.
Tools to Tackle the Trouble
I would like to share what I have been experimenting for quite some time now to document tacit knowledge at work - Wiking and Blogging. More than an year back, I downloaded an intranet version of Wiki (quick web) and installed it on my computer (I have IIS running on my system, serving as an intranet site on my network segment)
I had to slowly drive the point of using the Wiki (among my writers and editors) to document their learning at work. Now I see that I have a database of checklists, case studies and thumb rules that people have derived through the Wiki over a period. I see that its growing to become a powerful tool to trap tacit knowledge which is sharable within a group of knowledge workers.
I took to blogging quite late. I have sincerely tried to blog whatever ideas I conceived so far and maintain a record of some tacit knowledge. I see that my organisation ( at least my division) has also recognised the power of blogs and wikis that I see some initiative on setting up secured Wiki for a few management discussions.
I see blogs and wikis as effective tools for knowledge management. I shall continue blogging and wiking...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home