Thursday, July 01, 2004

CBT and Interaction

Very recently, I had a discussion with some top brass in my company, who asked me to defend my product against a comment that it does not provide enough interaction. My product was a series of CBTs catering to school children. Though I had not really prepared to face such a question I did have a suitable answer to justify my stance.

The product series was timed to be completed within a slot of 20 minutes, thats the time allocated for children to work on the PC during an IT period at schools. If I err on providing much interaction, the system would wait for the user entry. This would result in more time taken by students to complete the session.

Interaction, in my humble opinion should be balanced with the time restrictions (if any) to complete a specific part of the e-learning module. If the learner is left to learn on his/her own, without any restriction on the time that the learner can spend, interraction can be extensive.

I'm not trying to defend some page turner here. I agree that a page turner CBT is as good or worse as a PowerPoint presentation. Balancing user interaction with time restrictions is the key to provide the best e-learning product.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rajeev Balakrishnan said...

I agree with you that the level of interactivity is often dictated by factors such as the time available to complete the learning, the computer savviness of the learners or even the budget available to produce learning.

My question on interactivity is different. Is the definition of interactivity as "a system response to the learner's action" a comprehensive one?

While I consider clicking the components on the image of a complex machine to be interactive, my client feels that the ability to actually operate the machine is interactive!

Any comments?

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home