Monday, September 20, 2004

Felder-Silverman: Another Theory?! (Part2)

Continuing with my earlier post on the Felder-Silverman model...
I was wondering if this model can really be used in the pedagogy that I was working on, a few days back. My team was involved in designing a new strategy to address "difficult to learn" topics for school children through a not-very-usual a medium.
The challenge was to address all types of learners; visual, active, auditory, kinesthetic... I could relate to Felder-Silverman model immediately.

I understand that the model provides classification of learners under different learning patterns. I feel that a common stimuli cannot address all learners, but definitely most of the learners. For example, the model we were working on had
1. visual illustration of concepts in the form of pictures and animations. This would address visual learners.
2. audio explanations coupled with the illustrations to address the verbal learners.
3. group discussions to address active learners.
4. individual exercises for the reflective learners to guage their understanding by themselves.
5. a sequence of steps for the sensing and sequential learners who would like to follow a precise set of instructions.

But what have I understood from this whole exercise are some rudimentary principles of Instructional Design. Any learning module should address:
1. well articulated objectives and summary
2. visuals/illustrations
3. explanation in short text/audio
4. exercises for the self evaluation and discussion

If the above mentioned features are religiously adhered to in a coursematerial/CBT perectly fits any learning model (I have at least seen them to fit Gagne and Silverman models).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home